Healthcare advocacy service for My Medical Choice members
UK Healthcare Advocacy Service
We’re very excited to announce that we’re working towards building a national network of trained advocates to attend appointments with our members, as well as a service for telephone advice and support. Having an advocacy service working alongside our members, as and when needed, can give peace of mind when navigating our NHS healthcare system.
This service would provide much needed assurance and support to less confident members, or those struggling to cope with illness or disability.
And you can help us make this happen!
We’re calling on our members to help us raise the funds to complete the national advocacy network by spreading the word about My Medical Choice, so you can help us grow our membership base.
The more members join up to My Medical Choice the more income we’ll have to fund the project – meaning the faster we can roll this service out across the UK.
As a non-profit private members association, we rely on our members to help spread the word and post our links and adverts on social media – so, we’ve included this post for you to copy and paste if you’d like to help us with this project.
Our members can now access all of these services:
- A private personal account page for storing legal directives, medical data, and donor details
- Our medical alert service that notifies your emergency contact that you’re in hospital
- A unique login to enable NHS and emergency services to access your medical and donor data, and your legal documents (in case you are unable to communicate due to accident or illness)
- Our portable, wallet-sized Advance Decision Notice (AKA a Living Will) that stipulates which medical treatments and procedures you wish to refuse
- A Lasting Power of Attorney document that can be stored on your personal account page
- A Pre-op Consultation Pack guiding you through ways to achieve your healthcare wishes at pre-planned appointments and consultations
- And, of course:
The Safe Blood national donor database, and
The Safe Blood system of compatible private donors
There is also educational and reference material to help you:
- optimise your blood for surgery
- learn the established alternative options to blood transfusions
- discuss your healthcare wishes with your loved ones
- deal with NHS gatekeepers
- understand NHS patient policies and good medical practice guides, etc.
New to My Medical Choice is the addition of services that complement our own, accessible through our partner organisations, such as:
- Access to like-minded health practitioners and natural birth services
- Advocacy and legal support if things go wrong
Full membership is just £25 for the year and includes access to all My Medical Choice services and information.
We’re also excited to announce our goal to build a network of trained advocates to accompany and support our members at medical appointments – A goal YOU can help us achieve!
Understanding how an Advocacy Service can help when it comes to bodily autonomy!
Just a friendly reminder that no information in this publication constitutes legal or medical advice from My Medical Choice or any of our affiliates and the contents of this document are for educational and support purposes only.